There are always some threats in the software application of the organization which is not quite simple to identify and mitigate it. When you write, test, deploy the software you must understand SQL injections, cross-site scripting errors, broken authentication, misconfigured web servers. You might have observed that, when there is a lot of pressure to deliver software, errors and vulnerabilities are likely to fall through the developments.
This is only the reason, you should have the perfect knowledge of the basics of software application security. It can’t be the worst idea to review the security of the application at a regular period of time to check its effectiveness, though your organization already has an application security program. It is highly important for the software development team to know the basics of the security if your team is growing or taking new and more ambitious projects.
Check out some of the fundamentals of the effective application security program
- Doing assessment of software security at regular interval: There are many tools on the open web application security project website including Software assurance maturity model which makes assessments much easier.
- Implementing “defense-in-depth” practices: With this type of security, you develop the stack of layers in building security to your code and software systems. When you deploy the overlapping security and integrate with input validations, server configurations, database abstract layer and more; you somehow bolster your defenses in application.
- Give special security issue training to the developers: If your team believes, the main concern of security lies mainly on the network, firewalls, and SSL- then they are wrong. This thought may lead to a problem. Security training to the developers is important in your firm’s security program.
- Check the security during designing: When you are developed with the part of code, you must do the code review during the development which is highly crucial to keep the application secure. There are many automated tools available online which can scan your source code during development to reduce the risk during the early phase of software development life cycle.
- Assesmenting the security of apps in production: The cycle doesn’t complete, once your app is done with coding and go in a production. You must constantly check the behavior of the application to know the insight of the traffics. If there is spontaneous increase or decrease in the traffic, you must beware that something is suspicious or is going through some malicious activity. Make a check on the app to know the important changes. If your app throws an error during the runtime then it is sure that someone is attacking your app. Invest your time to monitor this activity so that such attacks doesn’t take place.
- Make sure, you are not using tools with known vulnerabilities: All users might be familiar with this type of risk. Vulnerabilities in third-party open source tools can remain unaddressed for a long period of time may be months or years. The things that save out time always attracts us but do not take a risk and do check the known vulnerabilities.